Who is a Carer?

A carer is someone who, without payment, provides or intends to provide help and support to a friend, neighbour or relative who could not manage because of frailty, illness, disability, mental health needs or issues with drugs and/or alcohol.

Carers can be from any race, faith or social background, of any gender, ethnicity and of any sexual orientation. Carers can care for more than one person, maybe studying, working or  unemployed, and may have their own disabilities or illnesses.

Carer is the term used in line with legislation, Government strategies and policies. It is recognised that some people dislike the term and that it can cause confusion with paid care workers, Personal Assistants, Shared Lives carers or volunteer carers.

To view the latest Joint Havering Carers Strategy 2017-2019 please click here

Working for Carers

The Working for Carers project supports unpaid carers to return to work. The programme is available to carers in London who are aged 25 or over, who have the right to work in the UK and are not in employment.

Carers can access free support, designed to meet their individual needs.

This may include:

  • One-to-one support and advice.
  • Group activities and training workshops.
  • Support with writing CVs and interview techniques.
  • Help with job-searching.
  • Work experience opportunities.
  • Employment, volunteering and training opportunities.

The project is led by Carers Trust and delivered by its network of 24 partners across London, and is jointly funded by the Big Lottery Fund and European Social Fund.

Sign up for Workshops of your choice:

  • Your Rights As A Carer
  • Identifying Your Strengths
  • Your Journey to Employment
  • Goal Setting
  • Introduction to Computer Skills
  • Preparing for Job Search
  • Introduction to Self Employment
  • English Conversation ClubsContact us:
    Tel: 020 8514 6251
    Email: [email protected]
Carers Emergency Alert Card

A free service for carers where they can register and receive a personalised card with an emergency number that can be used at any time a carer is separated from their cared for person. The card is designed to give carers peace of mind that their cared for person will be safe and looked after in the event of an emergency.

Remember that if you have a card you must inform the council if any of your details change by emailing [email protected]

Looking After Someone Guide

Carers UK have updated their guide to ‘Looking After Someone’

Please click here to view

Carers Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who are giving regular and substantial care to disabled people in their own homes. Carer’s Allowance is a taxable benefit and forms part of your taxable income.

Check if you can get Carer’s Allowance

You can get Carer’s Allowance if you meet all the following conditions:

  • you are aged 16 or over and not in full time education
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person who gets one of the following benefits: Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, the middle or higher rate for personal care of Disability Living Allowance, the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (either rate) or Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • you don’t earn more than £116 a week after deductions such as tax and national insurance
  • you are in Great Britain when you claim – there are some exceptions, for example, for members and family members of the Armed Forces
  • you have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years – unless you’re a refugee or immediate family member of a refugee
  • you are habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • you are not subject to immigration control that would stop you getting benefit.

There are some exceptions to these conditions if you’re living in another EEA country.

In some cases, you may meet the conditions for both Carer’s Allowance and another benefit, such as contributory Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support.

If your Carer’s Allowance is either the same as or less than the other benefit, you will get the other benefit rather than Carer’s Allowance.

However, if the other benefit is less than your Carer’s Allowance, you will get the other benefit and the balance of your Carer’s Allowance on top.

The rules about this are complicated and you may need to get advice.

If in doubt, you should always make a claim for Carer’s Allowance as this might also allow you to get extra amounts in other benefits such as the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit, Housing Benefit.

Always check with the person you are caring for before you make a claim for Carer’s Allowance as they may lose some of the benefit they get, such as a severe disability addition, if you make a claim.

You do not have to have paid any national insurance contributions to get carer’s allowance.